Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Blood Work

Today I went in for some blood tests, just the customary check up and it has me wondering. I never have problems getting blood taken from me when I am at a hospital, or a lab clinic. They find my veins and the blood is drawn and there is hardly any pain, just a prick.

I go to donate blood through Red Cross or other blood collection agencies and there's a problem. They dig in my arm, they comment that I don't have enough veins and they tell me I'm too little. (The agency really likes my blood, but the collectors don't.) Why is there such a big difference? Is it that good phelbotomists only work at hospitals? The rejects get sent to the donation clinics? I don't know. I will still donate, but it makes me wonder. Why is there such a vast difference between the locations?

1 comment:

Alyosha said...

Maybe they use a bigger needle when you donate blood, then when they just need a sample. My sister could donate blood but not plasma because the plasma needle was so much bigger.